16 Co-operation Measures for the Development of the Qianhai Shenzhen-Hong Kong Intellectual Property and Innovation Hub
To advance the development of intellectual property (IP) in Hong Kong and Shenzhen, foster cross-boundary IP and innovation, exchange and co-operation, and promote the development of Hong Kong into a regional IP trading centre, the Commerce and Economic Development Bureau (CEDB) and the Authority of Qianhai Shenzhen-Hong Kong Modern Service Industry Cooperation Zone of Shenzhen Municipality (Qianhai Authority) jointly promulgated the 16 Co-operation Measures for the Development of the Qianhai Shenzhen-Hong Kong Intellectual Property and Innovation Hub today (February 23).
The 16 co-operation measures cover a wide range of areas, including co-operation in IP protection, exploitation and transformation, exchange and study, promotion and education, and IP trading.
The CEDB and the Qianhai Authority will establish a mechanism for advancing IP co-operation. A taskforce for advancing Qianhai Shenzhen-Hong Kong IP co-operation will be set up by the Qianhai Authority, together with relevant members of the Joint Conference of Intellectual Property of Shenzhen Municipality, as well as the Intellectual Property Department (IPD) and the Customs and Excise Department of the HKSAR Government, and the Hong Kong Trade Development Council for advancing IP co-operation between the two places. Major initiatives of the 16 co-operation measures include:
- Support Hong Kong higher education institutions, R&D institutions and enterprises to establish operations in Qianhai, assist and facilitate them to commercialise their R&D achievements, explore the huge market in the GBA and beyond, and provide incentives for Hong Kong IP professionals to establish and develop their professional careers;
- Support Qianhai technology transfer centres and the IP integrated operation services centre to set up branch offices in Hong Kong, and hence facilitating Mainland IP industries to integrate into Hong Kong's IP industry trading platform and ecosystem;
- Support the establishment of a co-operation mechanism between the relevant arbitration bodies in Hong Kong and Shenzhen to further promote IP arbitration services;
- Support the reciprocal setting up of enquiry points for IP matters in Hong Kong and Shenzhen by the IPD and the China (Shenzhen) Intellectual Property Protection Center, with a view to enhancing cross-boundary IP services; and
- Encourage the creation, commercialisation and application of high-value patents; and support the organisation of more large-scale IP activities (such as exhibitions or forums) in Hong Kong and Shenzhen.
The translation of the main text of the 16 Co-operation Measures for the Development of the Qianhai Shenzhen-Hong Kong Intellectual Property and Innovation Hub is available at the CEDB's website (www.cedb.gov.hk/en/policies/intellectual-property-protection-main-text-of-document.html).